Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Interpretations

People can interpret things in so many ways, and unfortunately twist the truths of reality to something they perceive as  a threat or offensive. Words can hurt, and they can be said in so many ways and be seen as profane.

For instance, what you think as a compliment may be an insult to someone. Calling a pretty woman "hot" can be offensive to some and a compliment to others. So how do you know what to say? Look up words that people understand and perceive in a positive matter. Don't use slang, as hard as this is in a modern society, slang words can be weapons, and often unprofessional. I was a conference, and someone had said (as I am overweight now) that there should be thinner people that sit in the back of the car. (she was referring to herself.) Now I was trying really hard not to slip through into anger.There would've been a million different ways of saying that she should sit in the back like. "I think Betsy should sit up front because she likes to have more room." It's more understanding, and not pointing out the fact I am overweight.

Anyway, the internet (as a wonder it is) can be just as bad. Sarcasm should never be used on the internet because you can't use tones of voice. How can you distinguish sarcasm versus a compliment on the internet  Personally I can't, and I think most people can't either. It's something people need to be aware of. now I'm not saying I'm miss perfect, because I'm not. There are times I have offended people on accident because of the whole compliment/ insult theory.

The human brain is one of the most complex things in this world. It is like a computer, receiving information on a constant basis, and each brain has personal experience. This meaning that each person can perceive things differently. This can be a wonder as it also can be a menacing thought.

As a trauma victim myself, my feelings can be easily hurt, and often I don't handle anger and frustration well. When people verbally attack me, I feel like I have to explain myself. then the person will think I'm selfish. From there, things go out of hand. Trust me, I've had this happen recently.

What I thought was funny, was offensive to three people, (who in the end don't want anything to do with me) they took the context out to the extremes and used what they call martyr energy on me. One decided to tell their life story, and I felt like she wanted me to tell my life story which I didn't, and in the end I was called selfish. I am still wondering what happened, and why. So I decided to write about this because I think everyone (including myself) should be aware on how what they say and do can be perceived as being an insult. So when going into a professional environment, realize slang is not acceptable. Instead of saying "thinner" say petite, instead of "fat" say heavy set. Instead of hot, say beautiful. you get the idea, good luck trying to rearrange your speech. It's a lot harder than it seems. 


No comments:

Post a Comment